Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tricky Tuesdays: Writer's Constipation

Alright, guys! Courtney in the house!
(I don't think I'll ever say that again. Kind of cheesy, right?)
Today is Tricky Tuesday, and the topic I'll be covering is CONSTIPATION. Specifically, the writing kind.
It takes a lot of discipline, writing every day. There is so much that can get in the way--pets need walking, babies need feeding, groceries need buying, work needs droning... I can go on and on, but I don't want to depress myself. The point is, when the day nears its end and you've managed to pull an hour of free time out of your back pocket, writing isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
Writing has always been a love of mine, don't get me wrong... but sometimes there are other things that tempt me away. Like Facebook games. And Netflix. And my Kindle with its sweet, sweet library. Having these distractions isn't necessarily a bad thing--I don't think writing every day is necessary. But sometimes, you frolic in the sun a little long. You lose track of time.
When I lose track of time, I panic. I pull up my word doc with every intention of writing my quota for the past week or two. I crack my fingers, lay them on the keys, and...
well, nothing happens.
Nothing happens because I have forgotten how to write.
Have you ever trained yourself to wake up early in the morning? At first it can be difficult, waking before seven. (Hey, it's difficult for me!) It takes some getting used to. Your body needs to find the right balance between bed-time and your new morning routine--your brain needs to start that mental pot of coffee a little sooner. Your stomach might hurt, your head might ache, but sticking to it usually yields the desired results.
Writing is the same way. When you make a habit of writing, the words tend to flow easier. At first, you run into hiccups. You don't know what kind of voice you want to write in. You don't know what sorts of magical descriptions to sprinkle throughout your prose. You have no idea how to breathe life into your characters. But it gets easier.
but say you sleep in for a week. Oh, the joys of sleeping in till ten! You relish the comfort of those pillows, you let your dreams take you on mystical adventures, and boy... isn't it wonderful? It is, until that Monday morning comes... and you have forgotten how to wake up early.
My advice to you, Writers who Aspire to be Published, is this: Don't frolic in the sun too long. And if you do, and you find yourself in the position I'm in now, well... don't give up. Sure, you need to relearn the habit of getting the words on the page, but it's worth it. No matter how difficult you find it to be, every word on that page counts... and every word you manage to write eases your Slump a little more. Don't worry about the end result, that's what editing is for! Even if everything you write is a pile of poop, (pardon my English,) think of it as the fertilizer you need for that beautiful garden of words you will one day share with the world.

1 comment: